Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The kids are Old Rite

The Catholic church has a problem: young people who celebrate the traditional Mass:
Many young Catholics feel that they have been denied an inheritance that was rightly theirs. They have had to reassemble piecemeal something that should have been handed to them intact. An English academic recently told me of his attempt to obtain a copy of the Dictionnaire de théologie catholique, a reference book that went from impeccable authority to liber prohibitus at the time of the Council. He contacted a Belgian who helped declining religious houses dispose of their libraries. This Belgian found a Franciscan community that was willing to sell its set – but at the last moment took a different course. The monks decided to burn the books, “to prevent them getting into the hands of traditionalists”.
Who are these terrifying young traditionalists? Step into a quiet chapel in New York and you will find an answer. There, early each Saturday morning, young worshippers gather in secret. They are divided by sex: women on the left, men on the right. Dressed in denim and Birkenstocks, with the occasional nose piercing, they could be a group of loiterers on any downtown sidewalk. But they have come here with a purpose. As a bell rings, they rise in unison. A hooded priest approaches the altar and begins to say Mass in Latin. During Communion, they kneel on the bare floor where an altar rail should be.
In a city where discretion is mocked and vice goes on parade, the atmosphere of reverence is startling. These Masses began a year ago, when a young priest finally gave in to the young worshippers’ demands. They wanted the traditional Mass; he feared offending older colleagues who loathe it. This secret conventicle was the compromise. Advertised by word of mouth among students and young professionals, it has slowly grown.
After the Last Gospel, the worshippers break their fast nearby with coffee. I ask one how she started coming here. “I’ve been going to Mass for 24 years,” she says. “I still go to both forms, but when I encountered the Latin Mass it felt more reverent. I was taken out of this world.”
In the 1980s, Joseph Campbell remarked that organized religion was a defense against a religious experience.  We see today's church fighting these young kids, even burning books in that fight.  The irony of church officials burning books on traditional Catholic doctrine is pretty startling.  Centuries ago the Church caused books to be burned to keep heretical ideas away from weak minds.  Today's events show that this instinct is evergreen - for the old farts, at least.  The kids are all right.


4 comments:

taminator013 said...

I miss the old form from when I was a kid. Something very important seemed to be lost in translation..............

Reg T said...

I'm surprised those monks haven't burned their bibles. Or have they?

I left the church before the change to the vernacular, folk masses, kisses of "peace", and all of that crap. Had I been interested in returning, I surely wouldn't have once they instituted those changes.

Well, look at it - the Pope now washes and kisses the feet (and fundaments?) of muslims, while they are busy killing all of the Christians in the Middle East and elsewhere that they can get their hands on.

Murphy(AZ) said...

I have participated in English language masses, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, and French. According to priests I have asked, the Catholic mass may be celebrated in any language EXCEPT LATIN.

The church basically lost me after I graduated Catholic High School in '69 mostly for the ban on Latin. I know God hears me when I pray in any language, even though His church chooses not to.

Windy Wilson said...

If the priests had taught church Latin instead of classic Latin, it could have been a unifying feature of Catholicism. One of my professors at a catholic university spoke of witnessing two priests whose only common language was Latin have a long conversation, not on religious topics, in that language like others might in English, or as I did with a member of the Mexican Equestrian team in 1984, German, our only om on language.